Governments and standards: a winning combination
Standards provide a framework for proper agreements. From the A4 format for paper and 4G network rules to agreements on safety and quality: standards are an integral part of our daily lives and also have major impacts on the way we work. Have you ever thought about the impact of standards on your SME, and did you know that you can contribute to the development of standards yourself?
What is a standard?
that's how many standards are currently available at the NBN
5 reasons to refer to standards in legislation
- Cost savings – thanks to greater efficiency and better business processes;
- Export opportunities – products or services are more easily accepted in other countries;
- Innovation – sharing knowledge and new techniques becomes easier;
- Customer satisfaction - by increasing the quality of products or services;
- Sustainability – standards help create environmentally friendly, safe and sustainable products or processes.
Governments and standards
It’s clear that integrating standards into your regulations has many advantages. But did you know that you can also contribute to the development of standards?
The NBN, Bureau for Standardisation, facilitates the development of standards in Belgium. It does this through standards committees: the NBN brings together experts so that they can develop standards that relates to their areas of specialization. These experts include a large number of government representatives. By participating in the development of standards, you:
- You learn - you are the first to be aware of future developments and trends;
- You network - you are constantly exchanging ideas with other experts;
- You influence - you exert influence during the norm development process.
that's how many Belgian experts are currently helping the NBN develop standards
About the NBN
Do you have any questions on standards or standardisation? Contact us.