Benefits of standards
The use of standards has many benefits for businesses:
- Cost savings: applying standards increases efficiency and quality in business, thereby reducing costs.
- Export: standards ensure that products or services are better accepted in other countries. Standards are an important asset for an export-led economy.
- Innovation: standards make it easier to disseminate knowledge and new technologies, enabling companies to innovate faster and more cheaply. Read more on the Innovation and standards page.
- Customer satisfaction: the quality of products or services improves as a result of applying standards. Customer satisfaction and confidence accordingly rise.
- Sustainability: the use of standards leads to environmentally friendly, safe and sustainable products and production processes.
For public authorities, the use of standards guarantees the protection of consumers, workers and the environment.
For consumers, compliance with a standard means that a product or service meets a number of well-defined criteria with regard to consumer safety, performance, usability or the environment.